- 1/3 c. mayonnaise
- 1/3 c. sour cream
- handful of fresh basil and cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ears of sweet corn, husked, scrubbed, and kerneled
- 1/2 small Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 radishes, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- Chop herbs and whisk together with mayonnaise, sour cream, salt and pepper. (If vegan, dairy-free, or you just don’t like mayo: substitute mayo with vegannaise and corn milk for the sour cream–after cutting off kernels, run flat edge of knife down ears of corn to release the sweet milk.)
- Clean vegetables.* Cut kernels off of corn (discarding the cores), and chop other vegetables to desired sizes (I like the radishes and onion to be fairly tiny and the cucumber and avocado to be a little bigger, personally).
- Toss vegetables into dressing and mix. Serve with sprigs of herbs as garnish, if desired.
*Note: All vegetables are raw in this dish–no cooking required. So, it’s a fast dish with fantastic colors and flavors. Since everything is raw, make sure you use the freshest produce possible and clean everything well. This salad is a great alternative to potato salad or coleslaw at a picnic or as a “salsa” on top of curried chicken and rice. Serves 6 to 8.
Posted in Recipes
Tagged avocado, corn, cucumber, fresh, fresh herbs, onion, raw, recipe, salad, summer, summer produce, vegetarian
This Week’s Basket from Milk and Honey Organics Included Celery, Kiwi, Valencia Oranges, South Carolina Peaches, Local Green Bell Peppers, Flavorosa Pluots, Spinach, White Corn, Hurricane Creek Red Oak Lettuce, Parisi Farms Tomatoes, Parisi Farms Potato Medley and Parisi Farms Marketmore Cucumbers. What a beautiful summer basket!!
Weekly Menu Plan:
New Recipes: (others can be found on M&H’s Recipes Archive Page)
- Fruit, Cheese and Herb Skewers (instead of skewers, I layer them in a large mouth mason jar and drizzle with a mixture of 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar – it’s faster and has a fun tangy sweetness!)
- Green Pepper Egg Rings with Tomatoes
- Giada’s Spinach Lasagna Rolls
- Cream Cheese Dill Spread (for Cucumber Sandwiches and/or Veggie Dip): combine 2 blocks of cream cheese with 1/2 c. mayonnaise and 1/2 c. sour cream; add 1 Tbsp. dried dill (or 2 Tbsp. fresh), 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Peel cucumbers and slice thin for sandwiches.
- Chicken Satay
- Thai Cucumber Salad (add cooked and chilled rice noodles to salad, if desired, or serve rice noodles hot on the side)
- “Compost Pizza”
Posted in Weekly Recipe Lists
Tagged basket, celery, corn, cucumbers, hurricane creek farms, kiwi, lettuce, meal plan, milk and honey organics, oranges, parisi farms, peaches, peppers, pluots, potatoes, spinach, summer, Tomatoes