This past Tuesday night, we had a Ladies Ministries Meeting at our church, Heritage Bible Church. Katie Gerdt was our keynote speaker (you may remember some of her musings about God & Beauty that I’ve posted on the blog previously). She shared her personal testimony concerning a right view of food and biblical stewardship of our bodies and gave a challenge from the Word. The topic was “Temples of Praise: Worshiping God in How We Care for Our Bodies.” Here are the slides from her presentation:
You can download a PDF copy of the presentation here: Temples of Praise Presentation by Katie Gerdt.
After the presentation, we had healthful snacks:
- Fresh vegetables and hummus
- Baked pita crackers
- Yogurt with fresh berries and granola
- Chocolate Beet Cupcakes (we had the ladies guess what fruit or vegetable was hidden in these chocolate cupcakes and drew a name from the correct answers to win a copy of one of the books referenced throughout the evening)
We concluded the evening with a panel discussion, followed by fellowship and one-on-one Q&A. It was a privilege to be part of such an event. I only wish we had more time. Hopefully, Heritage will host another one of these workshops soon!
Next Tuesday, April 5th, 2011, there will be a Ladies Only fellowship at my church, Heritage Bible Church, in Greer, SC. The event starts at 7pm (they usually last about 90 minutes).
Our church holds these special functions quarterly for ladies only! It’s a night to get out, enjoy fellowship with other women, learn, and have fun. Next week’s theme is Health & Wellness! The evening will begin with a personal testimony and challenge by Katie Gerdt (I’ve shared a few of her devotionals on my blog before). Then we’ll have a break with healthful snacks. And we’ll conclude the evening with a panel discussion (yes, you can submit questions). They’ve asked me to sit on the panel as the “Fitness” side of things. I am humbled by this opportunity and very excited to share what the Lord has taught me in my journey over the past few years. Other panelists, Lord-willing, will be a Registered Dietician, a Healthy Mom with young kids, a Healthy Mom with teens (who happens to have a Bachelors in Physical Education), and maybe a woman who is in a later stage of life who has learned to cope with various physical challenges.
Here’s a list of resources I submitted to the event coordinator. I hope you find them helpful:
The Holy Bible, first and foremost resource for EVERY aspect of life, including health and fitness.
- The China Study: Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health, by T. Colin Campbell, PhD, and Thomas M. Campbell II.
Food, Fitness, and Faith for Women: A 21 Day Journey to a New You, by Freeman-Smith.
- Good Carbs, Bad Carbs, Johanna Burani, M.S., R.D., C.S.E.
In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto, by Michael Pollan.
- Organizing Your Private World, by George MacDonald.
- Reasonably Thin: The Spiritual Aspects of Over and Undereating, by Jesse Dillinger.
- Will Medicine Stop the Pain? by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Dr. Laura Hendrickson.
- Women’s Health Total Fitness 2010 (there’s one for each year, they also have one for Men’s Health).
- Yoga Daily Exercises: A 7-day Program to Harmonize the Body and Soul, published by Parragon Books Ltd.
- Betty Crocker’s Healthy New Choices.
- Simply Organic: A Cookbook for Sustainable, Seasonal, and Local Ingredients, by Jesse Ziff Cool.
Blogs by HBC Ladies:
- Everyday with Rachel Ray magazine
- Fitness Magazine
- GO Magazine – available for free in several coffee shops downtown
- Natural Awakenings – available for free in many grocery stores
- Prevention Magazine
- Self Magazine
- Shape magazine
- Women’s Health (Men’s Health also available)
- Yoga Journal
- 50 Ways to Work Out on the Ball, by Elizabeth Gillies – deck of 50 cards
- free weights (5#, 10#, 15#) or bands (light, medium, heavy) for resistance training
- jump rope
- Pilates Box, by Antje Korte & Barbara Marckhgott – 40 exercise cards + book with training programs
- Pilates with Workout Circle DVD (comes with workout circle and book), by Dina Matty & Keft Burdell
- tennis shoes – save up and spend the money – I like New Balance
- The Biggest Loser Workout DVDs: Cardio Max, Weight Loss Yoga, Boot Camp, etc.
- workout/yoga mat
- workout ball
Obviously, I don’t endorse everything from any one resource (except the Bible), but these are some things that have been helpful in my journey towards a healthier lifestyle.
Hope to see you there! ~Melissa
Posted in Bio, Fitness, Health & Nutrition, Resources, Spiritual, Time Management/Organization
Tagged 7 pm, april 5 2011, challenge, event, greer sc, healthful snacks, healthy living, heritage bible church, ladies only, list of resources, panel discussion, spiritual encouragement, testimonies