Excerpts from “Christ’s Sympathy to Weary Pilgrims” by Octavius Winslow (1808 and 1878).
“WHAT A BOUNDLESS, FATHOMLESS OCEAN!
“Eternal love moved the heart of Jesus to relinquish heaven for earth—a diadem for a cross—the robe of divine majesty for the garment of our nature; by taking upon Himself the leprosy of our sin. Oh, the infinite love of Christ! What a boundless, fathomless ocean! Ask the ransomed of the Lord, whose chains He has dissolved, whose dungeon He has opened, whose liberty He has conferred, if there ever was love like His!
“What shall we say of the ransom price? It was the richest, the costliest, that Heaven could give. He gave Himself for us! What more could He do? He gave Himself; body, soul and spirit. He gave His time, His labor, His blood, His life, His ALL, as the price for our ransom, the cost of our redemption. He carried the wood and reared the altar. Then, bearing His bosom to the stroke of the uplifted and descending arm of the Father, paid the price of our salvation in the warm lifeblood of His heart!
“What a boundless, fathomless ocean! How is it that we feel the force and exemplify the practical influence of this amazing, all commanding truth so faintly? Oh, the desperate depravity of our nature! Oh, the deep iniquity of our iniquitous hearts! Will not the blood drops of Jesus move us? Will not the agonies of the cross influence us? Will not His dying love constrain us to a more heavenly life?”
“AS THOUGH IT HAD NEVER BEEN!
“Beloved, soon, O how soon! all that now loads the heart with care, and wrings it with sorrow—all that dims the eye with tears, and renders the day anxious and the night sleepless, will be as though it had never been! Emerging from the entanglement, the dreariness, the solitude, the loneliness, and the temptations of the wilderness, you shall enter upon your everlasting rest, your unfading inheritance, where there is no sorrow, no declension, no sin, no sunset, no twilight, no evening shadows, no midnight darkness—but all is one perfect, cloudless, eternal day, for Jesus is the joy, the light, and the glory thereof!”
OTHER PARTS OF THE ESSAY INCLUDE:
- LEAN HARD
- THE FLAMING SWORD OF JUSTICE QUENCHED IN THE HOLY, LOVING BOSOM OF JESUS!
- SO FATHOMLESS, BOUNDLESS, AND INEXHAUSTIBLE!
- LOVE SUFFERING, AND BLEEDING, AND EXPIRING!
- IT IS I
- THE PERSONAL ATTRACTIONS OF JESUS!
- A FATHER’S HAND!
- FOR YOU!
- LIFE IS LIKE A PAINTED DREAM
- FOR ME, A WORM!
- THE TEARS OF JESUS!
- WHY THEN, THESE FEARS? WHY THIS DISTRUST?
- CHRIST’S SLEEPLESS VIGILANCE OVER HIS PEOPLE!
- LOOKING AT THE WORLD THROUGH THE CROSS
- BRING YOUR SORROWS TO ME
- THIS DIVINE SECRET!
- FOR ME, A POOR, WORTHLESS SINNER!
- THE WRATH OF GOD LET LOOSE UPON HIS SON!
- OH, ENCOURAGING TRUTH!
- YOUR PRESENT ADVERSITY
- THE LITTLE THINGS OF LIFE!
- ALL DROPPING FROM THE OUTSTRETCHED, MUNIFICENT HAND OF A LOVING, GRACIOUS, AND BOUNTIFUL FATHER!
- ALL THE VARIED DEALINGS
- THAT MOST EXCELLENT AND SUPERLATIVE KNOWLEDGE!
- A SOUL-SATISFYING SPECTACLE!
- THE ALTOGETHER LOVELY ONE!
- THE CHIEF OBJECT OF YOUR STUDY
- THE MOST ACCESSIBLE AND PRECIOUS SPOT
- HOW EMPTYING, HUMBLING, AND ABASING!
- WHEN HIS BEAUTY IS SEEN
- YOUR ALMIGHTY FRIEND!
- THE ASTONISHING, THE MARVELOUS LOVE!
- BECAUSE HE LOVED HER!
- ETERNALLY REPOSE YOUR WEARY SOUL IN THE BOSOM OF JESUS
- THE SOLITARY OBJECT OF HIS LOVE!
- CHRIST MUST BE ALL!
- THAT FRIEND!
- WHAT IS HEAVEN?