- 5 oz. (or 1/2 bag) of frozen chopped organic spinach
- 5 oz. (or 1/2 bag) of frozen mixed organic mushrooms
- 1/2 lb. all-natural bacon (2 slices whole for decoration on top of the quiche; cut the rest into small pieces with kitchen shears before frying)
- 4 all-natural large eggs
- 2 c. organic 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 1/4 c. shredded Farmer’s cheese (or your favorite cheese: Swiss, Cheddar or Mozzarella would also be good)
- 1/2 recipe of perfect, flaky pie crust (find recipe here)
- Make dough. You make this ahead and chill it if you want, then roll it out when you’re ready to bake. I had 1/2 recipe left from making my chicken pot pie earlier this week, so I pulled that out of the fridge and cut it in half. I rolled out 1/2 into a 10″ round for my 9″ pie plate. Then I took the last portion and divided it into 6 equal parts, rolled them into little balls, and flattened out into about 3″ circles. I put these into a 6 muffin baking dish. (You can do this while your bacon fries, as long as you don’t have the heat up too high where it cooks too quickly.) No need to grease your pans! There’s enough grease in the dough that it won’t stick!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Thaw spinach and mushrooms. Squeeze out excess water (I used a paper towel and strainer for this; you could use cheesecloth if you have it around).
- Meanwhile, cook bacon over medium heat. Don’t get it too crispy, since it will be cooked a little more as the quiche bakes. Drain on paper towel lined plate.
- Shred cheese (or your favorite cheese: swiss, mozzarella, or cheddar would also be nice).
- Whisk milk, eggs, salt, pepper, and thyme together.
- Assemble and bake:
- Combine spinach, mushrooms, bacon, and cheese and disperse in each pie shell.
- Pour egg mixture over top.
- Just before baking, place 2 whole pieces of bacon in a criss-cross on top of quiche.
- Bake at 350F. The muffin pan took about 40 minutes, where as the larger quiche took 50-60 minutes. (I started the timer at 30 minutes and kept adding 5 minutes until the tops were golden brown.)
- Let cool slightly before eating.
I served mine with coffee, fresh strawberries and blueberries. Yum!