This Week’s Basket from Milk and Honey Organics Included Bananas, South Carolina Peaches, Red Globe Grapes (caution: watch out for seeds), Tommy Atkins Mangos (not pictured: we got more of something else), Purple Garlic, Ginger, Local Green Cabbage, Hurricane Creek Romaine Lettuce, Globe Eggplant, Russet Potatoes, and Bioway Farms’ Squash and Cucumbers.
This Week’s Meal Plan:
Recipes for this Week’s Meal Plan:
- Pancake Bar – use your favorite pancake mix or simple recipe and top with anything you like. If you’re adding peaches, bananas, chocolate, etc. to them, pour the batter first and let it cook for a minute on the first side, then top with fillings and cook another minute or so before flipping.
- Egg Salad – hard boil eggs ahead of time, cool, peel and chop, then add the dressing (1/2 c. mayo, 1-2 tsp. prepared yellow mustard, salt, pepper, dill, a pinch of sugar and a splash of apple cider vinegar whisked together).
- Grilled Peaches – Spray with a little olive oil before adding to the grill at the last five minutes or so of cooking the pork chops (optional: sprinkle with nutmeg).
- Sautéed Squash and Onions – Pan fry thin slices in 1 Tbsp. butter with salt and pepper till just soft and slightly translucent.
- Sautéed Cabbage – Chop into bite size pieces and cook in 1 Tbsp. butter with salt and pepper till soft and slightly caramelized (medium to medium high heat and keep it moving so it doesn’t burn).
- Sautéed Onions and Peppers – slice into strips and toss in a hot pan with 1 tsp. olive oil till just tender and slightly translucent. Feel free to cook the chicken sausage links right down in the middle of this, if you don’t feel like grilling.
- Baked Potato – rub with oil, sprinkle with coarse sea salt, and roast on a pan at 450F for 40-50 minutes.
- Bacon Jam
- Cheesy Garlic Bread – mince garlic and mix into a stick of melted butter, brush over bread (French loaf or Italian loaf, cut in half, cut side up on pan), sprinkle with shredded cheese, and broil till cheese is golden brown (keep an eye on it).
- My Favorite Falafel
- Tzatziki Sauce
- And the rest are on M&H’s Recipes Archive page.
Posted in Weekly Recipe Lists
Tagged banana, bioway farms, cabbage, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger, grapes, hurricane creek farms, lettuce, local, milk and honey organics, Organic, peaches, potatoes, produce, squash
After getting caught in the rain in the middle of mowing the lawn tonight, I came in and took a fast shower and then came downstairs to figure out dinner. Bryan’s sleep schedule got thrown off over the holiday, so he had a hard time falling asleep this morning (which means I’m letting him sleep and eating dinner alone).
I felt like something cool and refreshing, and knew I needed to get a few more fruits and veggies in, so this is what I came up with (and, boy, was it good!):
- 1 frozen organic banana
- 2 1/2c. frozen organic spinach (loose leaf, not packed)
- 1 1/2 c. fresh blueberries (picked by my sister’s neighbor girl)
- 1 to 1 1/2 c. organic milk
- 1/2 c. sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/8 tsp. of cinnamon
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 c. of nutty granola (on top, if desired)
Add all ingredients except the granola to a blender and liquify until smooth. Top with granola and enjoy! Serves 1 meal portion (or 2 smaller portions). The cayenne and cinnamon give it a nice little kick on the finish.
This week brought us another beautiful basket from Milk and Honey Organics!
Quick Fixes for This Week’s Basket:
- Fuji Apples (Apple Pie, Chopped Apples on Oatmeal)
- Banana, Yellow, Eco (Peruvian) (Peel and freeze in baggies for Smoothies, Use in Banana Splits, or Dehydrate Banana Chips for a fun snack)
- Blueberries, North Carolina (Great in Pancakes or on top of your favorite Cereal with a handful of Chopped Nuts)
- Broccoli, Local (Steam and Top with Cheese or eat fresh in a Broccoli Salad)
- Carrots, With Tops (Chop and Steam, then top with a little butter and brown sugar or orange marmalade; or you can always make Carrot Cake)
- Lemons, Choice (It’s a great time of year for lemonade!)
- Lettuce, Green Leaf, Local (Great for fresh salads or lettuce wraps)
- Tommy Atkins Mangos (Use as an Ice Cream Topping or add to a Smoothie)
- Portabella Mushrooms (Slice on top of homemade pizza; brush with olive oil and sea salt and add to shish-kabobs; saute in butter and garlic until golden brown, add shiraz and simmer about 10 minutes, add sharp cheddar cheese and melt)
- White Peaches, South Carolina (Great on oatmeal or sliced with whipped cream)
- Yams, Covington Sweet Potatoes, N.C. (Sweet Potato Fries, Chips, or Wedges)
- Parisi Chard (Add to a Quiche or Egg Casserole, or eat raw in your salad)
- Parisi Kale (Add to a fresh salad with roasted nuts and a sweet and spicy Asian-style salad dressing)
- Parisi Patty Pan Squash (Scoop out the center, saute with garlic in olive oil, and spoon back into the shell to serve)
Other Recipes for This Week’s Basket:
Toad in a Pattypan Hole (http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2010/07/toad-in-pattypan-hole.html)
Fuji Apple Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream (http://www.nibbledish.com/people/worldpeas/recipes/fuji-apple-crisp-w-vanilla-ice-cream)
Peaches and Green Smoothie (http://foodloveswriting.com/2011/05/25/peaches-n-green-smoothie/)
Honey-glazed Carrots (http://nourishedkitchen.com/honey-glazed-carrots/)
Cinnamon Sweet Potato Hashbrowns (http://nourishedkitchen.com/sweet-potatohashbrowns/)
Roasted Carrots and Mushrooms with Thyme (http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/03/roasted-carrots-and-mushrooms-with.html)
Kale and Lemon Chips (http://www.elanaspantry.com/lemon-kale-chips/)
The Perfect Salad (https://myjourneytolean.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/recipe-the-perfect-salad/)
Sweet Potato and Edamame Hash (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-potato-and-edamame-hash-10000001975698/)
Swiss Chard and Swiss Cheese Egg Pie (https://myjourneytolean.wordpress.com/2011/03/04/recipe-swiss-chard-and-swiss-cheese-egg-pie/)
Sweet Potatoes with Collards and Aduki Beans – substitute Kale or Chard for Collards (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2840)
Swiss Chard Wrapped Salmon (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2642)
Mango Breakfast Parfait with Cherry Banana Soft Serve (http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/31/mango-breakfast-parfait-with-cherry-banana-soft-serve/)
Posted in Organic, Recipes
Tagged apple, banana, blueberries, broccoli, carrots, chard, fuji, kale, lemons, lettuce, mangoes, milk and honey organics, mushrooms, patty pan squash, peaches, recipe ideas