I had a large bag of kale from our winter garden, along with a few other mixed greens, 2 small bags of parsnips, and 4 pomegranates in my refrigerator, so when I saw this recipe on Pinterest, I immediately wanted to try it.
I put on a large pot of chicken noodle soup while I roasted the parsnips and prepped the other salad ingredients. It was absolutely delicious! And it looked like Christmas! This one’s going in the archives. The dressing recipe alone is worth saving! And it was the perfect accompaniment to the soup on this dreary winter day.
Kale, Pomegranate, and Caramelized Parsnip Salad Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
For the Salad:
- 1 large bunch of kale (about 10 large leaves)
- 1 pomegranate
- 4 medium parsnips (about 1 pound)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. freshly grated parmesan
- 3 Tbsp. toasted hazelnuts
- Wash the parsnips and scrub if needed, no need to peel them. Slice lengthwise into pieces about 3 inches long and then cut those into quarters (or eights if the parsnips are big). Place them in a roasting pan with the 2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp maple syrup and toss well. Roast them in a 375 F oven for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender inside and crispy golden on the outside. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Place all the salad dressing ingredients in a jar, screw on the lid, and shake vigorously.
- Cut away the stems from the kale leaves and discard them. Place the kale leaves on top of one another and shred finely. Place the shredded kale in a large salad bowl and toss with the vinaigrette. Let the kale rest for 30 minutes to absorb the dressing.
- Deseed the pomegranate. This video shows how to do it. Add the pomegranate seeds and the cooled roasted parsnip to your salad and toss.
- If you wish, garnish with toasted hazelnuts (simply place hazelnuts in a skillet on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently so they don’t burn) and freshly grated parmesan.
Original URL: http://www.pbs.org/food/kitchen-vignettes/kale-pomegranate-and-caramelized-parsnip-salad/