I used my Mom’s recipe for Chili Con Carne in our “Office Olympics” Chili Cook-Off this week and took Bronze! So, it is officially “award-winning”-ly awesome!
- 2 Tblsp. butter
- 1 large onion, diced, divided
- 1 lb. ground chuck (bison or venison works well too)
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 1 – 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz. sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 – 15 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 – 15 oz. cans light red kidney beans
- 1 – 15 oz. can beef broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tblsp. chili powder or more to taste
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tblsp. sugar
- Melt butter in Dutch oven.
- Sauté half of the diced onion for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground meat and brown.
- Add rest of ingredients and simmer for one hour. (Once you get it mixed you can of course put it in a crock pot to heat – I don’t know if I would do that all day – maybe just four hours on low.)
Great the day you make it – even better the next day. Serve with grated cheddar cheese, the rest of the diced onion, sour cream if desired, a sprinkle of celery seed and red pepper flakes or Tabasco sauce. It’s also great with corn bread.
Yields: 1 Dutch Oven, 10 servings