I never thought I was the “runner” type, but maybe I’ve been wrong. I started running with the Girls on the Run program last season and have set a goal of doing 10 miles per week since then. I usually stop at 3.1 miles and have to walk half of it. Sometimes I’ll just walk 5 miles. Or I’ll get on the elliptical and go for forever.
Tonight was a new record for me (at least as far as I can remember). I got off work a little early, ran some errands, then headed straight to the gym. I did a few good stretches, stuck in my earbuds and hit play on the “Running Playlist” I created this week. It gives me about 30 minutes of really good tempo music, then a few slower songs, then it picks up again. I don’t know if it was the newer treadmill or the fact that I was listening to music instead of just watching TV, but I felt like I could run forever.
I started by walking for a half mile, then I ran. And I ran, and I ran, and I ran. I don’t know where the time went, but before I knew it, I had run a full 5K! I took about a mile and half break and walked, still keeping a good pace, then I ran for another mile and a quarter, and walked the last quarter mile. All in all, I ran 6.2 miles in about an hour and 10 minutes (not sure of the exact time because the treadmill kinda messed up in the middle). After I finished the first 5K, I just felt like I could keep going! Maybe I’m becoming a runner after all!
My “Running Playlist” currently includes the following:
- “Explosive” – Bond (orchestration only)
- “Welcome to resistance/The tension is here/Between who you are and who you could be/Between how it is and how it should be. / … I dare you to move/I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor…Like today never happened/… Maybe redemption has stories to tell/Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell/Where can you run to escape from yourself?/Where you gonna go?/Where you gonna go?/Salvation is here.” – from “Dare You to Move” – Switchfoot
- “Even the best fall down sometimes/Even the wrong words seem to rhyme…” from “Collide” – Howie Day
- “Cursed missed opportunities/Am I a part of the cure?/Or am I part of the disease?” – from “Clocks” – Coldplay
- “City of Blinding Lights” – U2
- “Bigger than My Body” – John Mayer
- “Defying Gravity” – Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel
- Random songs from An Ancient Muse by Loreena McKennitt (includes The Gates of Istanbul and The English
- Random songs from Bullfrogs and Butterflies (Christian songs for kids – great for a light reprieve; I’d love to create a kids routine set to these CDs; I grew up on them and look forward to sharing them with my kids some day.)
- “I’m not a stone, I’m not a stick, I’m not a bone, I’m not a brick, I’m not that old, And not that tough, but I’m a diamond in the rough. I may be slow, I may be small, but I can grow up big and tall, I may be young and all that stuff, but I’m a diamond in the rough” – from “A Diamond in the Rough”
- “He gave me legs so I can run, so I know God likes fun” – from “God Likes Fun”
- “You’re a great big God, a very busy God, but you take time for me” – from “A Great Big God”
- “Before There Was Time” – Caedmon’s Call
- “Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop” – Landon Pigg
- “Firecracker” – Josh Turner
- “Glory Be to God” – Sovereign Grace Music