Quick Ideas for This Week’s Basket:
- Baby Spinach (Spinach Salad; Add to Smoothies)
- D’Anjou Pears (Pan Fry Pear Slices in butter with a little Maple Syrup or Brown Sugar)
- Green Beans (Steam and top with Crumbled Goat Cheese, Dried Cranberries, Slivered Almonds and Balsamic Vinagrette)
- Local Hurricane Creek Farms Beef Steak Tomatoes (Chop into Salads; Slice and serve with Russian or Thousand Island Dressing and a sprinkle of sugar)
- Local Hurricane Creek Farms Bibb Lettuce (Salad; Lettuce Wraps)
- Local Parisi Crookneck Squash (Slice and Sauté in butter with zucchini, shallots, salt and pepper; Fried Squash)
- Local Parisi Zucchini (Grilled Zucchini and Squash; Stir-fry; Diced Fresh in Salads)
- Seedless Icebox Watermelon (Fruit Basket; Add to Smoothies; Watermelon Soda – puree watermelon, stir in club soda to taste; cube and pre-package in single serving containers for a refreshing on-the-go snack)
- Shallots (Use as you would use onion)
- Valencia Oranges (Peel and eat; Top a Salad; Add to Smoothies)
- White Corn (Corn on the Cob; Add kernels to Salsa or a Taco Salad)
More Recipes for This Week’s Basket:
Giada’s Toasted Poundcake with Citrus Cream – uses Oranges, Lime and Lemon Juice (great if you have some leftover from the last 2 baskets).
Green Bean Haystacks – wrapped in bacon.
Lettuce Boats – uses Zucchini, Tomatoes, and any desired raw veggie.
Vegetable Thai Marinade – uses Crookneck Squash; could substitute Zucchini and Shallots for other vegetables if desired; could use freshly squeezed Valencia Orange instead of the Orange Juice Concentrate for the dressing.
Watermelon Agua Fresca – refreshing beverage.
Wilted Spinach Salad with Warm Citrus Vinaigrette – use freshly squeezed orange juice; substitute shallot for onion.
Zucchini Pasta with Pesto – uses Zucchini and Tomatoes.
FYI – Whole Living has a new Smoothie Recipe app for the iPad (iPhone app coming soon).
And, if you’ve put off using your Patty Pan Squash from last week, try this: Pretty in the Pan Stuffed Patty Pan Squash – also uses Zucchini.
Don’t forget to place your basket order by Tuesday at Milk and Honey Organics for next week’s delivery! Bon Appetit! ~Melissa